Facebook Us

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fluttering Hearts

Mine.
Theirs
I saw this lovely heart paper chandelier in the pottery barn kids' catalog with it's not-so-lovely price of $45. I figured it seemed easy enough to make so I had a go at it for about $3 and a little bit of time spent with my darling daughter. Okay, mine is not quite as fancy but it was my first try at it, and I made it fairly quickly. Still it does the job of adding heart flair, but I think I will make more and add ribbons and fun sparkly things too.
Here's how...
What you need:
2 wire hangers
old magazines
fishing string or sewing thread
scissors
glue
hole punch (optional)


1. Start with 2 wire hangers. Twist them around each other to make a plus sign with one hook at the top. Bind the hangers with fishing string or wool. Next time I think I would cover it with ribbon before I tied the strings on to cover the wire.
2. Tear red, pink and white colors from magazines (great for a child to do). You don't need the pages to be free of writing-as you can see I used Gerber ads here.
3.Glue them into full "pages" so that both back and front are in valentine colors.
4.Then cut out heart shapes, or use a template and have your child cut out hearts. You can also use construction paper if you don't want to go through the hassle of magazine scrap hunting.
5. Punch holes into the hearts or just cut a little slit at the top.
6. String the hearts together, tying double knots at the top of the heart to hold them in place. I used 3-5 per string. 


7. Tie them on to the hanger 


8. Hang :) 

Love and fluttering hearts,
Kerry the Momster


No comments:

Post a Comment