Facebook Us

Friday, February 8, 2013

Letters to my Valentine


I heart snail mail. Always have, always will! Sadly, it is a dying art form. For the day of love: Valentines Day, which also happens to be one of my favorite holidays (maybe having something to do with my birthday being the following day) I make lots of pretty things for the specials in my life.

When my daughter was born I began a series of letters to her, that I mail to our address and then stuff into a box unopened when they arrive, so one day she will have a "journal" of unopened letters all postmarked. For my son, I haven't been as diligent, but write to him in an actual journal, letters whenever I remember to (The second baby always gets jilted).


Valentine Craft
So for Valentines Day I made them each a "sustainable" felt envelope to stuff with treats, and maybe afterwards if I am feeling up to it, will add to the collection, so that they can play mailman with velcro stamps and the works.
Here's how:




For the top flap, use a new piece of felt halved, then fold in half again and cut in a jagged diagonal, rounding the top.

Cut out a triangular piece from the top piece of felt on the envelope body.

Stitch the sides and bottom first. I used a contrasting red color thread for effect.
Then add top panel and stitch straight across.


All done! Easy right?

Now to decorate...

I cut out felt names because I want to use them as place cards for the Valentine table too.


I made a quick stamp and some permanent marker lines on the front.

 
I love love love them! Hope my kiddies do too!


Love and letters,
Kerry, the Momster

No comments:

Post a Comment